Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Kaoss Update: solder-free solution for enhanced MIDI DIN control




Wow, I am blown away by the receptions I receive for my Kaossilator / Kaoss Pad MIDI mod.

As a thank you, I want to throw a small goodie in the ring:

A solder-free version of the DIN mod. If you can spare USB connectivity, there is a very easy solution to play your Kaossilator Pro(+) or Kaoss Pad 3(+) with standard Note On/Off messages generated by any keyboard, sequencer, DAW, etc.

Naturally, this is also the most expensive solution, but we speak about being expensive in the range of less than 20,- Euro/Dollar here. All you need are two devices (if you look for third-party clones, less than 10,- each): an Arduino/Genuino (Uno, Leonardo, or any compatible clone) and a MIDI shield.

Sorry, to be precise, you'll need these two devices, a USB cable and an internet connection (the fact that you read this, tells me you are on the right track):


  1. Put the Arduino and the MIDI shield together
  2. Get the Arduino IDE from here and install it
  3. Get the MIDI library from here and install it (described here)
  4. Get the Kontroller firmware from here
  5. Open the firmware in the Arduino IDE and edit the features listed in the beginning of the file
  6. Use the USB cable to connect the Arduino to your computer
  7. Choose your Arduino board and its connected USB port in the Tools menu of the IDE 
  8. Press the Upload button
  9. Happy Kaoss on your gig!

3 comments:

Stephan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you so much for this!
Your instructions worked perfectly except that I had to change "Serial1" to just "Serial" in the Kontroller source.
I'm controlling my KP+ with a Electribe2 and it's working beautifully :)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you KARG: This is all super-cool and really opens up the Kaossilator Pro. I've had success using a MEGA 2560 with a generic/Ebay DIN MIDI shield on Serial3. I'm also running the Teensy-LC hardware. I've added a little bit of code that allows my Axiom 49 and MPK-mini keyboard controllers to play chromatically. Very cool!! :)

ref: https://github.com/steven-campana/20201007_Karg_MDMA_07a

MUSIC PERV said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi. I'm a newbie to Arduino and thought I'd get my start with this project. I keep getting an error msg when I upload the Kontroller code...
error message: 'usbMIDI' was not declared in this scope

Can you tell me what I'm missing here? I'm certainly no programmer (just a deadbeat musician) and have no idea where to start. Any help is appreciated.